It is advisable to escape from superfluous things and bet on multifunction, but there are kitchen accessories with a single function that can be tremendously useful.
Summer is the best time to increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables, because they want more and because there is a great variety of the season. And to overcome laziness or save time and effort, we can invest in small tools that will make our lives easier, although we can only use them for a specific product.
The best mangoes come from the end of the summer, but it is a fantastic fruit to take advantage of already in the hottest months. It has a very particular shape with a bone that can be a real nuisance, and not everyone is very good at cutting it by hand without making a mess.
This cutter accessory can be very practical for the less tricky or impatient; With a simple mechanism, it separates the fruit into two parts, completely removing the central bone. It has very good reviews among users who have tried it and is on Amazon at a price of 11.99 euros.
Gazpacho or cold mango soup
- Ingredients for 2 people . 1 ripe mango, 20 g of onion, 35 g of yellow pepper, 15 g of cucumber, 1/2 clove of garlic, 50 g of vegetable stock, 15 g of apple cider vinegar, 20 g of extra virgin olive oil, ground white pepper, salt and 100 g of Greek yogurt.
- Development. We clean and chop all the vegetables in the indicated way and introduce them in the glass of a blender together with the broth, vinegar, yogurt, a little pepper, and salt. Crush until no pieces are seen. Add the oil and beat again at maximum power for a couple of minutes until emulsified. If we want a fine texture, we pass the mixture through a strainer and go.
Viral videos – and somewhat false – apart, pineapple is one of the fruits that causes more headaches when it comes to cutting and serving. The simplest method asks to use a good knife and a large and safe board to separate the entire crust first, although it is not easy to get perfectly round and clean slices. And you always have to separate the center, usually very hard and fibrous.
The special cutters work very well and are very simple to use, as this model of Jocca in stainless steel at only 7.90 euros. The pulp comes out perfectly in a clean spiral, leaving the juices inside the crust to be able to reuse them. The interior, in fact, can be used as a container for drinks or decoration.
Caramelized pork skewers with pineapple
- Ingredients for 4 people. 500 g of pork loin, 300 g of natural pineapple, the juice of 2 limes, 4 tablespoons of honey, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon of Sriracha sauce, 200 g of Cherry tomatoes, 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Development. We will start by cutting pork and pineapple into large dice. In a bowl, we mix the lime juice, honey, soy sauce. Sriracha sauce and ginger. Remove and add the meat and pineapple dice, mix and marinate for 15 minutes. In some metal or wood skewers, we insert a meat dice, a pineapple dice, a meat dice, and a cherry tomato. We repeat this operation until filling the length of the skewer. Grease a hot pan with the oil and brown the skewers for about two minutes on each side until they are caramelized.
Nowadays it is easy to find strawberries almost all year round, and we can also enjoy that almost forgotten delight that summer strawberries are. For the most perfectionists, there are utensils to cut them into intact pieces, easily pulling the tail.
This set of two small utensils, at 7.69 euros, will allow us to prepare a large number of strawberries and strawberries for all kinds of sweet and savory recipes. The Rabito extractor is essential to waste as little fruit as possible at the time of cut it
Avocado, strawberry and mozzarella salad
- Ingredients for 2 people. Curly lettuce, oak leaf or similar, arugula to taste, 10 strawberries, 20 g of pine nuts, 8 mini mozzarella balls, 1 avocado, blueberries to taste, sesame seeds, 45 ml of extra virgin olive oil, 15 ml of Modena vinegar, 5 ml of honey, salt and black pepper.
- Elaboration. We wash the leaves, drain and dry well. We remove the hard part of the face sheet. We have on the basis of two plates and place some arugula leaves. Prepare a vinaigrette with oil, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper and season the lettuce, reserving a couple of teaspoons. Wash the strawberries, remove the leaves and peduncle and cut. Drain the mozzarella balls on absorbent paper and cut them in half. Toast the pine nuts in a pan. Cut the avocado lengthwise, remove the bone and skin. We laminate each half and place them in the center of the plates, on the arugula. On both sides, we place strawberries, mozzarella and blueberries, which provide a great sweet touch. We decorate with roasted pine nuts and sesame seeds.
Peach and Nectarine Cutter
Two essential summer fruits such as peach and nectarine have very similar characteristics – they are practically no brothers in vain. With the same shape and a very similar bone, its manipulation is practically the same when it comes to consuming them or cooking sweet and savory dishes.
Preparing a good amount of clean and perfect segments can be a challenge for the less tricky with the knife or the less patient in the kitchen. For them, there is a practical special cutter, such as this Tescoma model at 4.64 euros, with the exact shape for this type of stone fruit.
Peach and Thyme Cake
- Ingredients. 125 g of baking flour, 1/2 teaspoon of chemical yeast, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of thyme, 1 envelope of vanilla sugar (about 7 g), 100 g of sugar, 1 L egg, 125 ml of buttermilk (or milk mixed with a teaspoon of lemon), 50 g of unsalted butter at room temperature, 1 large or 2 small peaches, extra sugar to sprinkle.
- Elaboration. Preheat the oven to 180ºC and prepare a low round mold, about 22 cm in diameter, greasing well. Sift flour into a bowl with yeast, baking soda, salt, and thyme. In another bowl, beat the chopped butter with the sugar and vanilla sugar, using a rod mixer, until a smooth mixture is left. Add the egg and beat a little more. Incorporate the flour and buttermilk mixture alternating each addition, beating at low speed after each time, starting and ending with the flour. Spread the dough in the mold. Wash well and chop the peach into segments, with or without skin. Spread over the surface of the dough, pressing lightly. Sprinkle with a little more sugar and thyme. Bake on a rack for about 35 minutes, until well browned.
3-in-1 avocado cutter
Many of us no longer know how to live without avocados; They have long since passed the border of being the fashionable food to be fully assimilated in our routines. But, again, we are with a peculiar fruit not quite easy to peel or bone. In fact, bad handling can cause domestic accidents.
How to get the perfect avocado meat to show off toast and salads worthy of the magazine? The avocado cutter 3 in 1 will be very practical if we consume it regularly. This OXO model, at 7.96 euros, allows you to open it, remove the bone and cut the pulp into unprocessed slices.
Beet, avocado and nectarine salad
- Ingredients for 2 people . 2 cooked or roasted beets, 1 medium or large avocado, 1 crispy nectarine, 30 g of goat’s cheese, 1 lemon or lime, black sesame seeds, fresh basil or tarragon, extra virgin olive oil, black pepper, and salt.
- Development. Cut the beets into thin slices, at most half a centimeter thick. Arrange them as a base of two dishes or a large fountain. Open the avocado, remove the bone and remove the pulp with the help of a spoon. Cut lengthwise into thin pieces. Arrange the avocado over the beet and paint with lemon juice so that it does not rust too much. Cut the washed nectarine into pieces of a similar size and also place on the plates. Spread the shredded goat cheese. Salt very lightly and add freshly ground pepper. Dress in lemon or lime juice, extra virgin olive oil and distribute some tarragon or chopped fresh basil and sesame seeds to taste.
Herb and leaf vegetable peeler
Besides fruits and vegetables, summer is a splendid time for most aromatic herbs. Although most stems are edible – and tasty – in many recipes we are not interested in using them. In the same way, the central “nerves” of leaves and cabbages such as kale can be unpleasant and too hard.
To make life easier by removing the leaves we can use a very simple utensil, this curious peeler that we can find in a set of three units for 6.99 euros. You just have to pass the leaves or twigs through the appropriate hole to separate them.
- Ingredients. 24 fresh basil leaves, 6 kale leaves, 3 tablespoons pine nuts, 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan, 1 small garlic clove, 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, salt, and black pepper.
- Development. We start cleaning the kale, for this, we remove the central nerve and scald the leaves in a pot of boiling water for 4 minutes. We drain them, cool them under the tap and dry them with absorbent paper. We put them in the blender glass next to the basil leaves, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, garlic, and olive oil. We beat everything until we get a paste. We rectify the salt and pepper point and we can already serve it.
Watermelons and melons taste like summer, although they are not very practical fruits to serve cleanly, especially in larger pieces. To facilitate the task and not have to peel a whole unit at once, we can use these cutting pliers.
The mechanism of use is very simple and allows to obtain straight elongated pieces, extracting them directly from the fruit without staining our hands or filling everything with water and juices. It costs about 11.90 euros.
Greek-style checkerboard salad with watermelon, cucumber, and feta cheese
- Ingredients for 2 people . 1 cucumber, 500 g of watermelon, 200 g of feta cheese, ½ avocado, 6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 3 tablespoons of balsamic oil, salt.
- Development. We will start by cutting the feta cheese into dice of two centimeters by two centimeters. We will prepare seven dice of the same size. We reserve We continue to cut the watermelon, looking for the principle for the part that does not carry seeds. We make other cubes of the same size, in this case, 11. Cut the cucumber into equal dice. We alternate on a flat plate or a slate tray, the dice of different colors. We prepare the avocado by cutting it with a thinly sliced mandolin, which we will place on top. Dress with the mixture of oil and balsamic vinegar, and serve very cold.
Tomato and mozzarella cutter
The tomato is at its best in the hot months, and we will not always use it in cold soups. Cutting it into slices we can cook it on the grill or iron, make carpaccios, salads, crown pizzas, and salty cakes… and prepare the Caprese salad in all its forms.
Everyone will cut the tomato with a knife, but if we want to be very perfectionist or save the effort, we can take advantage of this tomato cutter that is also designed to slice the mozzarella cheese. We will have a perfect Caprese salad in a matter of seconds. On Amazon, it is 13.77 euros.
Caprese salad with peach
- Ingredients for 2 people. 200 g of fresh mozzarella, 2 medium tomatoes, 1 large peach, fresh basil, salt, extra virgin olive oil, and Modena vinegar.
- Development. Wash and dry the tomatoes, peach and fresh basil leaves. We cut slices of equal size of tomato, peach, and mozzarella. On a large plate, we alternately place the peach, mozzarella, tomato and basil wheels until the plate is completed. If you prefer you can place the ingredients in another order. It is very good also if we put the tomato, mozzarella, basil, and peach first. We make the dressing for our salad with salt, olive oil and Modena vinegar to taste. Water the salad just when we take it to the table.